Next were bubbling mud pits, which were bazaar. I really could have sworn that I was on a different planet. The whole area smelled horribly of sulfur and it was quite nauseating really, but very cool nonetheless. I'm quite sure it is the closest thing to Mars on planet Earth.
After this were ancient lava fields that had formed over what was once a lake- when the lava covered the lake steam vents formed and resulted in this really cool landscape that is only seen otherwise on the ocean floor. Very cool. The name of the site translates in to "Dark Castles" and that's really what it was like- these huge structures of black lava that were all intricate and different and such but also have super vibrantly colored trees and plants growing on them. Makes for a beautiful effect!
This evening we also went to our first geothermal pool, a favorite pastime of Icelanders. It was very rejuvenating and quite fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment