Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Björked

Wed Aug 12, 6:25 AM in Iceland
I’m now in Reykjavik, awaiting my flight to Stockholm. The flight from Boston was ok; I didn’t get much sleep on it, and there was a woman behind my who forgot that touch screens are in fact attached to someone else’s chair and therefore should be lightly touched, not repeatedly punched, and also my movies weren’t working, but I got some reading done and it went by reasonably fast. The flight from Boston to Iceland was only about 5 hours long, which is not bad at all.
The flight landed in Reykjavik at 11:40 PM their time. It is now 6:30 AM. Needless to say, I’m kinda sleepy. However, a large part of my eight hour long layover was spent sleeping, so I can’t complain. The airport here is beautiful but reasonably small and when I took a brief walk at about 4 AM time here, there were only 5 other passengers in the terminal awaiting morning flights like me, it was a bit eery. However, to add a little pizzaz to that, the security here patrols the airport on foot-powered scooters, which made my smile each time one went whooshing past.


My dinner consisted of an Icelandic Viking beer and their famous skyr.is yogurt, which is incredibly delicious and even has this clever little fold-up plastic spoon attached to it. How practical!

My breakfast is now consisting of another skyr.is yogurt and an apple. Most people know that Iceland is much cheaper than it used to be due to the severe collapse of their banking system and therefore economy, but I got my dinner- one beer, one yogurt, and one water, for $5! Not bad at all, even better than I was expecting.
The sun came out here at around 5 am and the landscape is barren from the view here, but very intriguing. I am very much looking forward to my return to Iceland.



Also, as you can see in this entry I uploaded my first picture to my blog. I will definitely be adding more photos with future entries!

1 comment:

  1. Wait a second... that title seems awfully familiar...

    I became quite addicted to the Skyr yogurt, and actually used a chunk of my first foreign update to praise the fold-up spoon/shovel.

    ReplyDelete