Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A week in Newcastle

Newcastle has been great! It has a reputation of being a friendly, young, and fun city that enjoys its shopping and nightlife, and it has indeed lived up to that reputation! I've done some lovely shopping, only for necessities of course :) , but also had a great time walking around the charming town during the day, and having a good time in some pubs and clubs at night.

The train ride from London to Newcastle was absolutely perfect. I kept attempting to read my book, but the scenery was just so beautiful I didn't want to miss anything! ... Very good feeling upon arrival in my home for the next year. The English countryside is so beautiful and picturesque, it was a very enjoyable introduction to England.


Newcastle

The week in Newcastle has consisted of day trips to nearby castles, walking around the city center, enjoying a few pints in some pubs, and other similar activities. Some highlights include: visiting Alnwick Castle, where Harry Potter 1&2 were filmed and stopping on the way home from Alnwick at a known-to-be-delicious fish & chips place (and my goodness, it was the most delicious thing ever! No fish and chips I've ever had in the US even compares, it's like a completely different food! So fresh and flaky and just amazing!).


Alnwick Castle- Hargrid's hut was built where I was standing while taking the picture!

Saturday was a really fun day. Two of Pete's best friends from Leeds, Nick and Claire, came and we went bowling during the day, had a delicious dinner at a nice pizza parlor, and went out to a club called the Academy at night. It was indie night at the Academy, and the dance floor was gigantic, making for a fun night.

Claire, me and Jenny at the Academy

Jenny and I went to the coast near to Newcastle on Monday, the only non-rainy day while I was here. It was beautiful!

The Beach at Tynemouth


Climbing on the rocks!


Really cool rocks

Newcastle has been great! It's been good fun hanging out with Jenny and Pete and I look forward to coming up to Newcastle to visit them again! They're having a Halloween party that I am going to try to make it up for, which would probably be great fun; their apartment is perfect for a Halloween party.

Off to London tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Newcastle looks wicked cool! I'm putting it on my short list of places to visit when I next find myself on the British Isles. Glad to see that you're rockin' out, and havin' a good time.

    ReplyDelete